Saturday, March 18, 2006

Matt Cutts: Gadgets, Google, and SEO » Bloglines

Matt Cutts: Gadgets, Google, and SEO » Bloglines


I use Bloglines all the time. Here’s what I love about Bloglines:

It’s an easy way to keep an eye on the blogosphere, or at least the parts of the blogosphere that I care about.
I can access it from anywhere and it saves my state. My browser knows the password, so it’s one-click from work/home/laptop to start reading Battelle, the Spam Huntress, Mapping Hacks, martinibuster, or even the wet/burnt dog hair guy at Yahoo, and I can always pick up where I left off.
I can choose whether to read a lightweight comic feed or tackle the voluminous-but-useful set of posts that is the Search Engine Watch blog.
I don’t have to worry about funky spelling, capitalization, or a name that sounds close to “Google” (pet peeve of mine). If the name were BloogleLyNes, I’d probably like it less. TiVo gets a pass on capitalization because they rock so hard, but I wish more sites chose easy, memorable spellings. I’m looking at you, kuro5hin and The Cap’n’s Log
Bloglines’ favicon is clean, distinctive, and memorable. Easy to pick out from my personal toolbar folder.
Here is what I wish Bloglines would change:
As far as I can tell, you can only accumulate 200 posts from a feed before posts start dropping on the floor. Mark Fletcher, can you boost that to 400 or 500? I don’t want to have to check ThreadWatch that often; sometimes it puts me in a foul mood, so I’d rather save it up for a while and then read it all at once.
Sometimes posts appear as unread more than once. I know that usually it’s because of an update to the post, but sometimes it doesn’t look like the post has changed. Maybe a different color instead of bold/black for updated posts?
When something has to go down for an upgrade, you see the [bloglines plumber]. Less plumber time is always good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home